Monday, October 15, 2012

Blue Moon Cupcakes

I've been MIA lately and I apologize. It has been a rough few days in the Hobbs household. Baby girl has decided to wake up at 2:30am and it's been a little rough on momma bear. I also hosted Jon's birthday party this weekend which was a lot of fun and a lot of work (pictures coming soon).

ANYWAYS, I made these cupcakes to bring to Jon's work on his birthday. Let me tell you...he was thrilled. Yeah! You're gonna bring cupcakes to work like my mom used to bring to the classroom when I was like......5....and I'm 28! He got over the shock and enjoyed it :)

I got this recipe from Erica's Sweet Tooth. This girl is talented, her site is beautiful and she can create some mean (meaning good) sugary morsels!

Blue Moon Cupcakes
serving: 24
 
cupcakes:
3/4 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange
1 cup Blue Moon  beer, plus more for brushing on tops
1/4 cup milk
Orange/lime wedges and sanding sugar for garnish
 
 
 citrus cream cheese frosting:
12 oz cream cheese, cold
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
4 cups powdered sugar
 
cupcake directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
 

In the bowl of an electric mixer (I used my muscles), beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes (and was exhausted).
 

Add eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour.
 

Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks or skewer and brush some beer on each while still warm. I didn't have a brush so I used a 1/4 teaspoon and poured beer into it and then poured the contents over the cupcakes.
 



for the citrus cream cheese frosting:


Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the citrus juice and zest and gradually add the powdered sugar until well-combined. Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes.

Frost cupcakes once they have cooled. Add a slice of orange to the top and a sprinkle of raw sugar...colored is fun.
 
 
These turned out great and people loved them. This is definitely a recipe I will use again. You can also substitute Corona for Blue Moon and a lime for the orange. I have yet to try this combination, but I'm sure it's as scrumptious as the first. Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment