Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Yumm Sauce Recipe

I was first introduced to this by my best friend Megan while we lived post college in our small two bedroom apartment, single, broke and hungry. Megan went to college in Eugene, Oregon where they had a joint called Cafe Yumm, which served a variety of vegan meals (and meat if you dared), her favorite being the chicken Yumm bowl.

After a year of marriage I visited my cousin in Eugene, Oregon and had the sheer joy to step into one.  Angels sang as I purchased my first jar of Yumm sauce. I brought it back to hubby for him to enjoy his first bowl of Yumm! He says now after two years of marriage this is one of his favorite meals. Thus, I had to find a recipe for the sauce because driving to Oregon to purchase twelve dollar Yumm sauce was out of the question.

This is the closest recipe to the real thing I've ever found.

 
Yumm Sauce:
(kudos to this website)
 
½  cup canola oil
½ cup slivered almonds (whole are fine too)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
½ cup cooked garbanzo beans
¼ cup cooked soybeans
½ cup water
½ c lemon juice
2-3 garlic cloves
½ tsp salt
1 tsp   curry  powder
½ tsp dried basil
1/8    tsp ascorbic acid
Dashes of Paprika

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blender until smooth. Mine was pretty thick so I added a little more water to make it easier to pour. It was the consistency of peanut butter, but after adding water it resembled ranch dressing.




This sauce is ideally used in a Yumm bowl but it can be used on salad, meat, etc. And yes, those are my paw prints in the sauce!

What is in a Yumm bowl you might ask? Well, a variety of things. The base of the bowl is brown or white rice. Then you can add any off the following to your bowl and top it with Yumm sauce or mix it in the rice beforehand.

black beans
kidney beans
avocados
tomatoes
salsa
black olives
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
chicken
tofu
cilantro


My favorite combination is white rice, black beans, tomatoes, grilled chicken, sour cream, cheddar cheese, cilantro, avocados topped with some Yumm sauce and cracked pepper and sometimes a dash of kosher salt. Pardon the expression...Yum ;)
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Aawww Em.... Never got to try this when Meg was in college - looks YUMM! Colleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, remind me and next time I come down I will bring you some. Love you! Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made some for Megan as a Christmas present..you'll have to snatch some Colleen:)
    Ash- I appreciate the offer. I can't get enough of the stuff!

    ReplyDelete