Thursday, September 6, 2012

MUSH STUFF

My father started living on his own at the young age of 14. His parents were divorced when he was 3 and after a particularly nasty custody battle he had had enough. He settled in an old ranch house his grandmother had. Dad had a hardy diet of Corn Flakes for breakfast...lunch...and for dinner. It's no wonder he got mononucleosis. So grandma Viola took it upon herself to make this young man a recipe book and also to buy him an ol' cast iron dutch oven (which I believe is the same one he still uses today). This is a twist on an old recipe he used to make for us kids out of that dutch oven.

Let's just say it's definitely a step up from Corn Flakes.

MUSH STUFF
6 eggs
3-4 sliced of bread cubed ( I like to use old baguettes)
1/4 red onion chopped (sauteed in bacon or sausage grease for a few seconds)
5-6 slices of bacon chopped or sausage or BOTH :)
few ounces of cubed or grated cheese (mozzarella, cheddar or pepper jack)
Pepper to taste
* I don't like to add salt because the meat adds enough.
 
 
Let all items sit and bowl for a few minutes. This allows the bread to soak up all the flavored goodness.
 
If you're using a dutch oven, toss ingredients in, put on medium heat an let sit with the lid on. It should only take 15 minutes or so. Test with a fork to make sure cooked.
 
 
If you're like me and have no dutch oven and a hungry husband who wakes up before the sun comes up use a cupcake tin. In the morning it makes for a nice little snack that can be popped in the microwave and WHAM-BAM you have one happy papa bear.
 
 
 
Cook in Oven at 350F for 20 minutes or until tops are brown.



2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, I was 15, and grandma lived in the old ranch house, while I got to stay in the house in town (since I still went to highschool), which was no old farm house. Your version sounds better though.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I got a little confused on the details. Sorry! See you soon! P.S. I really like your photo :)
      Silly! Love, Em

      Delete